Attention students, faculty and staff: Parking procedures for Fall 2016. Click here for details.
Our Mission Since 1966
Since 1966, the Rhode Island College Upward Bound Program has opened the door to a more prosperous future for over 2,000 high school students.
It is one of more than 950 programs throughout the country that is funded by the federal government, and is the only such project in Rhode Island.
The Rhode Island College Upward Bound Program is designed to instill in low-income, potential first-generation college students the skills and motivation to complete high school and to enter and graduate from college. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the high school and college graduation rates of program participants. Upward Bound is committed to providing equal access and opportunity to students from specific target high schools who meet federal eligibility requirements. The program enhances the intellectual, emotional, character and motivational development of each participant by offering rigorous academic instruction, counseling, support services, and an environment that recognizes individual differences and academic potential.
Facts about the Rhode Island College Upward Bound Program
- Unique program with a strong 47-year history of helping high school students prepare for college.
- One of more than 950 federally-funded projects throughout the country and the only such project in Rhode Island.
- High school graduation rate of 99.9%.
- 98% college acceptance rate for Upward Bound graduating seniors.
- College retention/graduation rate of 77%.
- Strong alumni network that supports the program's initiatives and administers scholarships granted through the Upward Bound Alumni Endowment Fund.
Back to top
A Legacy of Success
According to recent studies, 98 percent of every Upward Bound graduating class has entered public and private colleges throughout the country. Of this group of graduates, 77 percent are successful in college.
Some of the four-year colleges and universities from which Upward Bound alumni have graduated are: