Campus Advisory: Cold Weather Warning - Click here for details.
The Unity Center
February 2016Click here for details
The Alumni Association and the Unity Center encourage the recognition of kindness at RIC
The First Thirty Elevator Project: Random Acts of Kindness and Inclusion
In 2006, Greg Forbes Siegman, teacher and founder of the Brunch Bunch mentoring program, helped a stranger he met in an elevator. A doctor, who witnessed it, bought five copies of The First Thirty(a book based on Greg's story) & made a unique request- he asked Greg to give them out to the next five strangers he witnessed committing acts of kindness. Within days, other people matched the doctor's act – and The First Thirty Elevator Project was born – kindness elevated to new heights.
Exhibited unconditional compassion and empathy toward
Encouraged an acquaintance to reconnect
Offered to help carry items across campus.
Helped a person in a wheelchair open the restroom door because the automated button was broken.
Always greets people both known and unknown with respect and is notably generous.
The Unity Center is the Rhode Island College multicultural center. Its mission is to promote the accessibility of educational services and the opportunity for excellence to all students through collaborative programming among its student affiliates, faculty, staff and the wider community. The Center further seeks to enhance cultural awareness by providing a safe forum for exploring issues pertaining to diversity, equity and inclusion and to assist students in becoming informed, productive citizens of the world.
- Engage students in meaningful dialogue about their academic, social and personal experiences
- Challenge the stereotypes of racism, sexism, homophobia, classism and other forms of oppression
- Provide support services for students in underrepresented and/or protected classes.
- Plan & develop multicultural programming for the campus community
- Assist student organizations in multicultural programming
- Foster responsible citizenry through community service and service learning
- Promote students' global awareness by responding to current events.
Hours during the academic year:
|Monday||8:30 AM – 7:00 PM|
|Tuesday||8:30 AM – 7:00 PM|
|Wednesday||8:30 AM – 7:00 PM|
|Thursday||8:30 AM – 7:00 PM|
|Friday||8:30 AM – 4:30 PM|