Certificate of Graduate Study (C.G.S.) in Middle-Secondary Level Special Education
The CGS in Middle-Secondary Level Special Education was created to provide teachers who are currently eligible for teaching certification in elementary-middle level mild-moderate special education a graduate program to extend their certification through high school. The program is consistent with the content and competencies outlined by Rhode Island Department of Education, and extends learning to provide additional coursework in Middle Level Education.
Professionals will improve their knowledge and skills in effective practice to educate students with mild-moderate special education needs at middle and secondary levels of education. Graduate students may choose to incorporate these courses into the secondary special education strand of the current graduate program (M.Ed. in Exceptional Learning Needs). The C.G.S. in Middle-Secondary Level Special Education requires completion of three graduate courses and a 16-week internship.
Students must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 through-out their C.G.S. coursework.
All courses must be completed by December, 2014 due to RIDE certification changes.
|Course No.||Course Title||Credits|
|MLED 510||Teaching and Learning in the Middle Level School||3|
|SPED 424||Assessment, Curriculum, and Methodology for Adolescents and Young Adults with Mild/Moderate Disabilities at the Middle School and Secondary Levels||4|
|SPED 427||Career Exploration and Vocational Preparation of Middle School and Secondary Level Students with Disabilities||3|
|SPED 664||Internship at the Secondary Level||6|
Total Credit Hours
Requirements for application
- A completed application form accompanied by a fifty-dollar nonrefund-able application fee.
- Completion of all Feinstein School of Education and Human Develop-ment admission requirements.
- Proof of eligibility for Rhode Island Special Educator-Mild-Moderate Elementary and Middle Level teaching certificate.
- Bachelor's degree required with a minimum cumulative grade point av-erage of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale in professional coursework.
- Three candidate reference forms accompanied by three letters of recommendation related to education and experience in special education or a related field).
- An application essay that describes the candidate's commitment to the field of Middle-Secondary Special Education, cultural awareness, collaboration, and lifelong learning.
- A performance based evaluation that documents the candidate's experience with individuals with disabilities.
- An interview.