Campus Weather Advisory: Parking ban and restrictions through Monday. Click here for details.
General Education Language Requirement
Second Language Requirement
Rhode Island College graduates are expected to communicate in and understand a language other than English at a novice-mid proficiency level. The Second language requirement of General Education is designed to meet that expectation.The Second Language Requirement may be fulfilled in any of the following ways:
- By completing the Portuguese Placement Test and placing above PORT 102, and enrolling in the corresponding course.
- By completing Portuguese courses 101 and 102 (or 110), with a minimum grade of C.
- By completing EEP Portuguese 113 or 114.
- Through transfer credit from an accredited college or university.
- Through transfer credit of a second language course from an approved study abroad program.
- By completing the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and the written exam for Portuguese. Levels: OPI: Novice Mid to High. Written test: Novice High.
Foreign/International students must submit an official high school transcript from a Portuguese-speaking country of origin. For Freshmen starting in the Fall 2012, PORT 115: Literature of the Portuguese Speaking World fulfills the "Literature" Category of the Distribution Requirements. Your score on the Portuguese Placement Test will determine if you can enroll in this class.For information on RIC General Education please visit the General Education website.