Attention students, faculty and staff: Parking procedures for Fall 2016. Click here for details.
2016/17 Dance Auditions Announcement
An undergraduate major in dance performance was established at RI College in 2000. While there is no audition requirement for students who elect to major in dance, auditions are required for the Rhode Island College Dance Company, Special Talent Awards in Dance, and for the Helen Forman Dance Scholarship. Please read below for specific information on this year's audition schedule and procedures.
New Members of the Rhode Island College Dance Company
The dance major auditions for high school seniors and transfer students will be held on Saturday, February 27, 2016 and March 5, 2016 at 11 AM in the Helen Forman Dance studio, which is located in the Nazarian Center for the Performing Arts Building. It is recommended auditionees arrive at least 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork and to warm up. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend the audition and ask questions concerning prospective students. The schedule is as follows:
- Dress for class. The student should wear tightly fitted dancewear, ballet slippers, and also be prepared to dance barefoot. The locker rooms connected to the dance studio may be used for changing.
- Warm up on your own in the studio.
- Audition class - ballet barre and some center work consisting of ballet and a modern traveling phrase and/or a short improvisation.
- Presentation of solo pieces. Please prepare a short piece, or part of a piece, 1 1/2-2 minutes long in any style you like. It can be either your own composition or someone else's choreography. A CD player will be provided for your use.
- All prospective students must bring a full bodyshot in a classical dance position and headshot. Your name should also be clearly labeled on the photographs.
Immediately following the showing of solos, the faculty will be available to answer any questions.
Please call us at 401-456-9791 or email email@example.com to schedule an audition and to receive more information.
RI College Special Talent Awards in Dance for 2016/2017
Special Talent Awards were established to recognize and encourage students who have exceptional talent or skill in the visual and performing arts, areas of intercollegiate competition (other than athletics), or similar fields. Currently, the College offers Special Talent Awards in the following areas: art, chess, communications, dance, music, and theatre. While the requirements for these awards vary by department, award competition is open to entering freshmen and transfer students. Dance awards range from $200 to $2,200 per year.
Saturday, February 27, 2016 and March 5, 2016 at 11 AM in the Helen Forman Dance studio, which is located in the Nazarian Center for the Performing Arts Building.
- Only current or prospective RIC Dance Company Members are eligible for these awards.
- New students must be enrolled in an RI College degree program before fall 2016.
- Student must maintain at least half-time status regarding attempted course credit each semester.
- Student must maintain their status as a member in good standing in the Rhode Island College Dance Company.
- Dance student demonstrates the physical attributes of alignment, flexibility, endurance, rhythm, poise, ability to phrase movement in time and space, and strength as a dancer on an intermediate level of competence.
- Dance student demonstrates an intermediate to advanced level of ability to perform complex adagio and allegro patterns of dance movement in center floor, and shows comparable ability to perform traveling patterns of movement through space.
- Dance student demonstrates advanced level of coordination for dance movement.
- Student demonstrates classic line in body for concert dance movement.