Liberal Arts History Major Handbook
History is a multi-dimensional field that historians and students have approached in myriad ways. At its core, though, history tackles fundamental questions of human society:
- Who we have been in the past—how people lived, loved, governed, fought, and thought in various periods and societies.
- The catalysts, negotiations, and conflict that provoked change in those societies.
- How diverse societies came in contact and influenced one another.
- How and why individuals and societies have exerted power over others.
- How individuals and communities developed their sense of identity.
- How that past continues to share our present.
- And who we hope we will be in the future.