The Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning is supported by a generous grant from the Davis Educational Foundation
The Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning (FCTL) is devoted to the professional and personal growth of faculty and have, as a central tenet of its mission, the goal of fostering a dynamic and committed campus community from across distances and disciplines and supporting the college's new strategic plan. As described by faculty members themselves, the FCTL at RIC will:
- provide much needed faculty support in a rapidly evolving profession and teaching/ learning environment. The FCTL will foster a safe space for honest, productive dialogue informed by scholarship and experience from all disciplines, ranks, and full-time and part-time status.
- promote communication and collaboration across disciplines. An FCTL will serve as an institutional hub that fosters a dynamic and committed campus community across disciplines.
- create an ongoing, coherent discussion of pedagogical practices in and out of the classroom. Current faculty-development programs operate without coordination, collaboration, or a central source of support. An FCTL will coordinate faculty development activities, resources, and information.
- respond to new ideas and trends in teaching and learning. With faculty bringing in ideas from their outside contacts and the center monitoring trends in higher education, the FCTL will ensure that the campus as a whole remains up to date in current pedagogical thinking.
- have a broad impact beyond our campus. Over 90% of K-12 teachers in Rhode Island have a degree from Rhode Island College. Across all fields, the majority of our graduates remain in the state for their professional careers. Thus, an FCTL will have a wide impact on the professional population and on K-12 students across the entire state.
Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning
Rhode Island College’s Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning (FCTL) promotes the professional growth and development of faculty as teachers and as scholars of teaching and learning. The FCTL cultivates a public dialogue about teaching and learning across disciplinary lines and strives to build a professional community among teachers at Rhode Island College. The FCTL serves faculty at every stage of our professional lives in order to support a campus-wide culture committed to excellence in teaching and learning. The FCTL is by faculty, for faculty.