Skip Repetitive Navigation Links
Communication Program Goals
Public and Professional
- To develop content creation skills necessary to plan, contract, and evaluate graphic
documents for production.
- To apply research skills and critical thinking to communication in a sustained
argument or discussion.
- To structure messages for specific audiences and develop ideas with appropriate
- To improve oral and physical delivery in public and group contexts.
Speech and Hearing Science
- To apply the skill of hearing speech sounds to the process of phonetic transcription.
- To apply theories of speech and language development to data collected from a normal
- To understand the science of speech and hearing, including acoustics, speech
perception and anatomy and physiology.
- To understand the principles of audiology.
- Graduating students will apply for and gain admission to graduate programs in Speech
and Hearing Science.
- To provide the student with an understanding of what strategic communications and specifically public relations and advertising are and do.
- To provide the student with an understanding of the appropriate applications of theories and concepts from the disciplines of communication, psychology, sociology and political science.
- To provide the students with an understanding of the tools used to measure and influence public opinion.
- To provide the students with understanding of the tools used in advertising to measure and influence decisions made by the consumer.
- To learn how to apply social science research findings, critical theories, and
methodologies related to the impact of mass media on American society and culture.
- To understand local and global impact of new communication technologies on
political, social, and economic institutions.
- To understand the decision-making process in mass media organizations focusing on
the organization, economic, technological, and societal constraints on decision-makers.
- To learn media ethics, law and regulation, and cultural diversity that will train them to
become responsible media practitioners.
- how mass media are produced, reproduced, consumed, and constructed within cultural
- To learn how to conceptualize, develop, plan, and execute a media or multimedia
project through the phases of production: pre-production, production, and postproduction.