Criminal Background Checks
Procedure Concerning Criminal Background Checks
All students enrolled in courses with contact with children/youth are
1. For convenience, students may apply for and receive the BCI Report through the FSEHD Office Horace Mann Hall – Room 105 by presenting the following paperwork:
- A check for $5.00 payable to "BCI"
- A copy of photo identification containing the date of birth (for example, a copy of driver's license, passport or other government-issued identification).
Within the following date ranges
- Tuesday, Tuesday, September 2 through Friday September 5
- Monday, September 22 through Friday, September 26
- 9:00 am - 11:30 am or 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm.
*Afternoon hours will be extended until 4PM on Wednesday, September 3 and Wednesday, September 24.
Pick up BCI Report in Horace Mann 105
- Five business days after submitting your materials 9:00-11:30 am and 1:00- 2:00 pm.
2. An individual may also apply directly to the Department of Attorney General, Bureau of Criminal Identification. This may be done by mail or in person. The address is 150 South Main Street, Providence, RI 02903. Individuals should call in advance (401-274-4400) to determine the hours when the Bureau is open to receive applications.
An individual working directly with the Department of the Attorney General must forward a copy of the report (submission can be through the mail or in person) to Office of the Dean, FSEHD, 105 Horace Mann Hall, Rhode Island College, Providence, RI 02908.
Once an individual has obtained the BCI Report, he/she is responsible for carrying the current (no more than a year old) original BCI Report with him/her while in a school setting. He/she must be ready to present this original BCI Report to the
In cases where an individual has been convicted of one of the crimes enumerated in R.I. General Laws § 23-17-37, 11-37-8.1 or 11-37-8.3 or where there is a prosecution pending, officials from the RI Department of Elementary and Secondary Education will conduct an individual review in consultation with Feinstein School officials and the individual.